1. Boil the milk with sugar and vanilla. In the meantime, crack the eggs in a bowl and beat them like an omelette.
2. Remove the vanilla pod and remember to empty it into the milk. To empty it, simply cut it lengthwise and scrape the inside with a knife tip.
3. Slowly pour the boiling milk onto the eggs while continuing to beat them. Be careful! Do not pour the milk too fast to prevent the egg yolks from solidifying.
4. Pour the mixture into an oven-safe dish (choose a glass or earthenware dish, not a sheet metal one and with high edges). You can also pour it into ramekins if you want to individualize the portions.
5. Place in the oven (cold). Do not preheat the oven and respect the 3 cooking stages if you do not want your custard to release water. 20 minutes at 120°C (thermostat 2-3), 10 minutes at 180°C (thermostat 6), 5 minutes at 210°C (thermostat 7).
To finish, take out of the oven, let it cool down then refrigerate for at least 2 hours.