1 tablespoon of margarine
1/2 cup of chopped onion
1/2 teaspoon of minced garlic
1 teaspoon of Worcestershire sauce
1 can or bottle of light beer (12 fluid ounces)
1 can of chicken broth (14.5 ounces)
3 tablespoons of cornstarch
2 cups of half-and-half
2 cups of shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
1. Melt the margarine in a soup pot over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, and Worcestershire sauce. Stir.
2. Add beer and raise heat to high, boiling for 3 minutes to evaporate alcohol.
3. Add chicken broth and bring soup to a boil. Lower heat.
4. Combine cornstarch with 3 tablespoons of water and stir until smooth. Set aside.
5. Add half-and-half and shredded cheese to the soup. Stir constantly until cheese melts.
6. Stir in cornstarch mixture. Stir constantly for approximately 2 minutes until soup thickens.
7. Serve the soup garnished with bacon bits.
Prep Time:10 mins
Cook Time:25 mins
Total Time:35 mins