- 5 cups chicken stock
- 3 ½ cups peeled and diced sweet potatoes
- ¾ cup diced cooked ham
- ⅓ cup diced celery
- ⅓ cup finely chopped onion
- ½ cup chopped green bell pepper
- ¼ cup chopped carrot
- ¼ cup corn
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper, or to taste
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- ¾ cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- Combine chicken stock, sweet potatoes, ham, celery, and onion in a stockpot; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and cook until sweet potatoes are tender, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Stir bell pepper, carrot, corn, garlic, basil, parsley flakes, black pepper, and salt into soup and simmer until vegetables are softened, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium-low heat; whisk flour into butter using a fork. Cook and stir mixture until thickened, about 1 minute.
- Slowly stir milk into butter-flour mixture until completely smooth; continue cooking and stirring over medium-low heat until thickened, 4 to 5 more minutes.
- Stir Cheddar cheese into milk mixture until melted and smooth.
- Stir milk-Cheddar cheese mixture into soup; cook until thickened and heated through, about 5 minutes.
Prep Time:20 mins
Cook Time:25 mins
Total Time:45 mins
- 260 Calories
- 15g Fat
- 23g Carbs
- 10g Protein