Pasta with Eggplant Recipe
Pasta with eggplant is a colorful vegetarian summer first course that encapsulates the scents of the Mediterranean in the simplicity of its ingredients. Lots of gently stewed eggplant cubes make the dish enveloping and velvety, while basil and cherry tomatoes balance it with freshness. It’s a good first course to enjoy hot, but also cold, at the beach or in the office, just like classic cold pasta or pasta with grilled vegetables! The authenticity and versatility are the winning cards of this pasta with eggplant, a timeless and always tempting recipe!
Try also the baked eggplant pasta!
– 320g Sedanini Rigati pasta
– 350g eggplant
– 250g cherry tomatoes
– a few basil leaves
– 100g fresh spring onion
– Salt to taste
– Black pepper to taste
– 30g extra virgin olive oil
Calories: 381 per serving
Preparation time: 15min
Cooking time: 30min
Serving size: 4 people
Note: 2 hours to drain the eggplant
1. To prepare the pasta with eggplant, first deal with the eggplant. Wash them, cut off the stalks and cut them into 1 cm cubes. Then transfer them to a colander, lightly salt them and place a small plate with a weight on top of them and let them drain for a couple of hours.
2. When the eggplant has eliminated all the water, start cutting the spring onion in half and then into rather thin slices. Put the oil in a pan, let it heat up and add the spring onion. Once it is golden brown, add the eggplant.
3. Salt and pepper and let it cook for about 15 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, wash the cherry tomatoes and cut them into 4 wedges and add them to the eggplant only when they are tender and cooked.
5. Adjust the salt and pepper and cook for another 4-5 minutes.
6. In the meantime, cook the pasta in plenty of boiling salted water to taste. Once al dente, drain it and pour it directly into the pan with the eggplant.
7. Saute your eggplant pasta for a few minutes, adding the basil leaves. Now all you have to do is plate it!
The pasta with eggplant can be stored in the refrigerator in an airtight container for a maximum of 2 days. Freezing is not recommended.
To give a stringy touch to your pasta with eggplant, add cubes of mozzarella or smoked scamorza! And maybe a sprinkle of chili pepper to make your dish more lively!