- 150g wholemeal basmati, rinsed
- 2 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 1 onion, chopped (about 175g)
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and cut into large chunks
- 1⁄2-1 scotch bonnet pepper, deseeded
- 2 large garlic cloves
- 10g ginger (peeled weight), chopped
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp vegetable bouillon (check it’s vegan, if needed)
- ½ tsp ground white pepper
- 2 tsp thyme leaves
- 2 bay leaves
- 400g can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 avocado, peeled, stoned, halved and sliced
- Tip the rice into a bowl, cover with water and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick pan over a medium heat and fry the onions for 8-10 mins until soft and golden, stirring occasionally to stop them catching.
- Meanwhile, put the red pepper, scotch bonnet, garlic, ginger and tomatoes in a bowl, and blitz using a hand blender until completely smooth. Alternatively, use a food processor or blender.
- Stir the curry powder into the onions, then add the pepper mixture, bouillon, white pepper, thyme and bay. Cover and simmer for 15 mins over a low heat.
- Stir in 150ml water. Drain the rice, then mix it in as well. Cover the top of the pan with foil, followed by the lid, then cook over a low heat for 45 mins until almost tender.
- Add the beans and a few tablespoons of water if it’s looking a little dry, then continue to cook over a low heat, covered with the foil and lid again, for 15 mins more until the rice is tender.
- Turn off the heat and leave to rest for 10 mins before scooping out the bay leaves and serving. Top with avocado, or serve on the side.
Spicy African-Style Rice with Beans
This Spicy African-Style Rice with Beans recipe is a simple and delicious dish made with wholemeal basmati rice, kidney beans, and a mix of peppers and spices to give it a spicy kick. This vegan-friendly meal is perfect for a quick and easy dinner that is also filling and healthy.
The combination of red and scotch bonnet peppers adds a fiery heat to the dish, while the ginger and garlic add a depth of flavour. The blend of spices, including curry powder, thyme, and ground white pepper, give the dish an aromatic flavour that will tantalize your taste buds.
The recipe is easy to make and requires only a few steps. Begin by cooking the rice and setting it aside. Then fry the onions in a pan until soft, and blend the peppers, garlic, ginger, and tomatoes in a blender until smooth. Add the pepper mixture to the onions and stir in the spices, bouillon, and herbs. Add the rice and stir in 150ml of water before covering and letting it cook for 45 minutes.
After 45 minutes, add the beans and a few tablespoons of water if necessary, cover and let it cook for an additional 15 minutes until the rice is tender. Remove the pan from the heat and let it rest for 10 minutes before serving. Top with avocado or serve it on the side.
This Spicy African-Style Rice with Beans recipe is a flavourful and healthy meal that is perfect for busy weeknights or when you want to switch up your weekly meal plan. It’s a comforting and spicy dish that you’ll love!