For 4 persons:
- 600g calamari rings
- 2 eggs
- 150g flour
- 50g cornstarch
- 30cl sparkling water, well chilled
- 1 litre peanut oil (for frying)
For the sauce:
- 1 Greek yogurt
- juice of half a lemon
- 1/3 black radish or 1 tablespoon horseradish
- 1 small bunch of dill
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt, pepper, cayenne pepper
1. Prepare the batter. Pour flour into a bowl and make a well in the center. Add the eggs and beat with a fork. Gradually pour in the chilled sparkling water while continuing to beat until the batter is smooth and homogeneous. Allow the batter to rest for 30 minutes at room temperature.
2. Meanwhile, prepare the dill sauce. Wash and chop the dill. Peel and grate the black radish. Mix the yogurt, black radish (or horseradish), dill, olive oil, and lemon juice. Season with salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper to taste. Set aside in the refrigerator.
3. Dip the calamari rings into the batter. Heat the peanut oil in a deep fryer.
4. As soon as the oil is hot, slowly dip the calamari rings into the fryer and fry until golden brown. (Do not use the fryer basket, as the calamari rings will stick to it.)
Finally, drain the calamari rings on paper towels, season with salt, and serve immediately with lemon slices and the dill sauce. Enjoy!