for 6 people
750g of tarbais, coco, or lingot white beans
150g of lean bacon
1 piece of rind the size of the bottom of the pot
4 peeled and de-germed garlic cloves
1 large peeled carrot
3 peeled onions
1 bouquet garni
1 raw garlic sausage
1 Toulouse sausage
500g of duck confit + its fat
500g of boneless lamb shoulder
300g of lamb neck
100g of breadcrumbs
Salt and pepper
1. Soak the beans in cold water for 2 hours in advance. This step is unnecessary if they are fresh. Blanch the lean bacon for 10 minutes in a pot of boiling water, then rinse it in cold water and drain it. Enclose the peppercorns in a sachet.
2. Line the bottom of a casserole with the rind, add the drained beans, bacon, 2 cloves of garlic, the carrot sliced into rounds, 1 onion pierced with the cloves, the bouquet garni, and the sachet of pepper (a cloth filled with peppercorns); pour in 1.5 litres of cold water, bring to a boil while skimming, then cover and let simmer for 1 hour. After this time, add the garlic sausage and Toulouse sausage and continue cooking for an additional 30 minutes.
3. In the meantime, place the confit pieces in a frying pan, melt the fat, and set it aside; brown the pieces of duck confit in the frying pan, then remove them and set them aside. Cut the shoulder and neck into pieces and brown them in the same frying pan with 2 tablespoons of confit fat, then season them with salt and pepper, remove the meat, and set it aside.
4. In the same frying pan, replace the meat with the other 2 chopped onions and 2 crushed garlic cloves, cook them gently, then moisten them with a ladle of broth from the beans and let simmer for 5 minutes. Remove the bouquet garni, sachet of peppercorns, and onion from the pot with the beans, as well as the garlic sausage and Toulouse sausage; cut them into rounds.
5. Preheat the oven to 120°C. Grease a terracotta pot or high-sided baking dish with the confit fat and put in half of the beans, using a slotted spoon, then add all the meat: lamb, duck confit, bacon, sausage, and garlic sausage. Cover with the onion and garlic mixture and add the rest of the beans, then sprinkle with breadcrumbs, pour on 3 ladles of the bean broth and lukewarm confit fat.
To finish, bake it in the oven for 4 hours, adding a little bean broth from time to time, if necessary, and sprinkling it with breadcrumbs 3 or even 4 times during cooking.