- 175g mixed dried fruit
- 1 orange, zested, ½ juiced (you’ll need about 2 tbsp juice)
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 275g marzipan
- 2 eggs
- 100ml vegetable or sunflower oil
- 120ml milk
- 120g golden caster sugar
- 235g self-raising flour
- ¾ tsp mixed spice or ground cinnamon
- 3-4 tbsp icing sugar, sifted
- Put the mixed dried fruit, orange juice and both citrus zests in a bowl. Leave to soak for 1 hr.
- Heat the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4 and line a 12-hole muffin tin with paper cases.
- Chop 155g of the marzipan into small chunks and set aside. Beat the eggs, oil and milk together in a large bowl, then add the sugar and marzipan chunks.
- Sift in the flour and mixed spice or cinnamon, then fold everything together. Divide the mixture between the muffin cases until they’re each about three-quarters full, then bake for 25-30 mins until risen and golden. Leave to cool in the tin for 5-10 mins, then remove to a wire rack and leave to cool completely.
- Heat the grill to high. Roll the remaining 120g marzipan into 12 balls (about 10g each) using your hands.
- Put the marzipan balls on a baking tray, then slide under the hot grill for 30 seconds-1 min until just golden on top.
- Combine the icing sugar and lemon juice until you have a runny icing, then spoon this over the cooled muffins and decorate with the marzipan balls.
- Leave to set for 1 hr before serving. Will keep in an airtight container for up to three days.
Enjoy your delicious Simnel Muffins!