- ½ cup vegetable shortening
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour, or more if needed
- 1 (21 ounce) package guava paste, or to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease two cookie sheets.
- Beat shortening and butter in a large bowl with an electric mixer until smooth and creamy.
- Add sugar and beat until fluffy.
- Mix in egg, egg yolk, vanilla, and almond extract.
- Add flour, 1 cup at a time, until completely mixed; the dough should be stiff and able to hold its shape when formed into a ball. If this consistency is not achieved, add a little more flour.
- Make 1-inch balls of dough and place 1 inch apart onto the prepared cookie sheets.
- Use your finger to make small indentations in the middle of each cookie; fill each with a cube of guava paste.
- Bake in batches in the preheated oven until light golden on the bottom, about 15 minutes, switching racks halfway through; do not overcook.
- Cool on the baking sheet briefly before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- You can fill the cookies with candy sprinkles instead of guava paste if preferred.
- Prep Time:20 mins
- Cook Time:30 mins
- Additional Time:10 mins
- Total Time: 1 hrs
- 114 Calories
- 4g Fat
- 18g Carbs
- 1g Protein