For 10 people
1 large red cabbage
3 cooking apples
1 or 2 shallots
Salt and pepper
1 tablespoon of Provencal herbs
1 piece of smoked bacon
1 can of whole chestnuts
150 g of small bacon cubes
1 glass of white wine
1/2 l of broth
1. Prepare all the ingredients on the work surface.
2. Slice the cabbage into thin pieces and rinse with water.
3. Bring a full pot of water to a boil and add the cabbage. As soon as the boiling resumes, remove the cabbage and drain it. Pour out the water.
4. Dry the bottom of the pot and melt a small piece of butter, then brown the sliced onions and shallots. Deglaze with the glass of white wine and then place the bacon, cut into several pieces, on this bed of browned onions. Season.
5. Then add a first layer of cabbage, some raw and peeled onions, sliced or whole. To soften the acidity of the cabbage and for ease of digestion, add half of the apples, cut into small pieces, the Provencal herbs, salt and pepper. Finish with a second layer of cabbage, the remaining ingredients, the apples and the broth. Allow to cook for 45 minutes after the first murmurings.
To finish, once the cooking is finished, add the chestnuts and mix delicately with the cabbage.