- 2 ½ cups bleached all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon ground allspice
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened until easily spreadable
- 2 cups dark brown sugar
- Adjust the oven rack to the middle position; preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and lightly flour a metal or disposable foil 9×13-inch pan.
- Whisk flour, cornstarch, baking powder, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, cloves, and salt in a large bowl.
- Mix milk, eggs, and vanilla extract in a 2-cup measuring cup.
- Beat softened butter into flour mixture in a large bowl with an electric mixer, first on low, then medium, until mixture forms pebble-sized pieces.
- Add about 1/3 of the milk mixture and beat on low until smooth.
- Add remaining milk mixture in two stages; beat on medium speed until batter is just smooth.
- Add brown sugar; beat until just incorporated, about 30 seconds.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 40 minutes.
- Cool briefly on a wire rack, then run a table knife around the edges to loosen.
- Invert carefully onto a serving plate or cooling rack.
- Let cool completely.
- The batter can be divided and baked in two 8-inch square cake pans. Take one to a picnic or a potluck; freeze one for later.
Prep Time:15 mins
Cook Time:40 mins
Total Time:55 mins
Yield:1 9×13-inch cake
- 275 Calories
- 13g Fat
- 36g Carbs
- 4g Protein