- 2 medium potatoes, cut into chunks
- 1 fresh or frozen flaky white fish fillet (about 200g; we used cod loin)
- 4 spring onions, sliced
- 2 tsp curry powder (gluten-free, if needed)
- 2 poppadums crushed, or a handful of breadcrumbs (gluten-free if needed)
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- salad, mango chutney and lemon wedges, to serve
- Cook the potatoes in a pan of boiling water until tender, about 15 mins. Add the fish fillet to the pan for the final few minutes of the cooking time. Drain and leave to steam-dry for a few minutes, then tip the potatoes and fish into a bowl along with the spring onions. Roughly crush the mixture together using a fork. Season, mix in the curry powder, then shape the mixture into six patties. Tip the crushed poppadums onto a shallow plate, and press both sides of each fishcake into them to coat. If you have time, chill the fishcakes for 30 mins to firm up. Will keep chilled for up to a day.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan over a medium heat and fry the fishcakes for 5 mins on each side until golden and piping hot. Serve with salad and mango chutney on the side with lemon wedges for squeezing over.