For this recipe you will need:
- 1 pound of raw shrimp (26 to 30 count), peeled
- Olive oil to taste
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Sugar to taste
- 2 medium tomatoes, cut into medium dice
- ½ cup of crumbled feta cheese
- ½ cup of pitted and coarsely chopped Kalamata or other black olives
- 1 teaspoon of dried oregano
- ¼ cup of olive oil
- 4 teaspoons of red wine vinegar
- 1 package (10 oz) of factory-washed baby spinach leaves
- Thread shrimp onto metal skewers (or bamboo ones that have been soaked in water for 15 minutes). Brush both sides with oil and season with salt, pepper and a light sprinkling of sugar.
- Heat the gas grill with all burners on high, until fully preheated, 10 to 15 minutes. Use a wire brush to clean grill rack, then brush lightly with oil. Close lid and allow it to return to temperature. Grill shrimp until fully cooked and spotty brown, about 2 minutes per side.
- Mix the tomatoes, cheese, olives, oregano, 2 Tbs of olive oil and 2 tsps of vinegar in a medium bowl. Unthread the shrimp and add them to the bowl. Lightly toss all the ingredients to coat. Set aside, this can be made an hour or so ahead of time.
- When ready to serve, drizzle the remaining oil, as well as a generous sprinkling of salt and pepper, over the spinach in a large bowl. Toss to coat. Add the remaining 2 tsps of vinegar and toss again.
- Divide the spinach among 4 large plates. Top with a portion of the shrimp mixture.
Tips: Copyright 2004 USA WEEKEND and columnist Pam Anderson. All rights reserved.