- 50g lighter halloumi, drained and coarsely grated
- 75g self-raising flour
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp nigella seeds (optional)
- ½ lemon, zested and juiced
- 1 garlic clove, grated
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp milk
- 150g cooked beetroot, drained and coarsely grated
- 3 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 1 tsp honey
- 100g rocket
- Combine the halloumi, flour, baking powder, nigella seeds (if using) and lemon zest in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk together the garlic, egg and milk with a large pinch of fine sea salt and season well with black pepper. Add to the halloumi mixture along with the grated beetroot and mix well.
- Heat 1 tbsp of the oil in a large non-stick frying pan over a medium heat. Spoon in 2 heaped tbsp of the batter (you should have enough for six fritters) and level them to about 2cm thick. Fry, in batches, for 3 mins on each side, until golden and cooked through. Mix the lemon juice with the remaining oil and honey in a bowl and season to taste. Toss the rocket with the dressing and serve with the fritters. Will keep chilled for up to three days.
This recipe combines the unique flavor of halloumi cheese with the earthy sweetness of beetroot to create the perfect breakfast or lunch dish. After grating and combining the halloumi, flour, baking powder, nigella seeds, and lemon zest, whisk together the garlic, egg, milk, salt, and pepper in a separate bowl. Add the egg mixture to the halloumi mixture and mix well. Finally, add the grated beetroot and mix together.
Heat oil in a frying pan and spoon two heaped tablespoons of the batter into the pan, leveling them to about 2cm thick. Fry the fritters for three minutes on each side until they are golden and cooked through. For the dressing, mix lemon juice with honey, and remaining oil in a bowl, and season to taste. Toss the rocket with the dressing and serve it with the fritters. These fritters will keep chilled for up to three days.
This dish is perfect for breakfast or lunch and provides a unique flavor combination that you will love. The halloumi cheese adds a salty taste to the dish, while the beetroot provides earthy sweetness. The nigella seeds add a unique flavor to the recipe, but they are optional if you don’t have them on hand. This recipe makes six fritters and only takes about 20 minutes to make. It is a healthy and delicious way to start your day or enjoy a light lunch. Stock your kitchen with the ingredients and give this recipe a try today!